2 March 2009

My big 'Big Issue' issue

Okay, I'm going to rant a little bit about charities before I pin down what this blog is really about.

In Preston town centre, there's quite a few beggars around, just like there were in Nottingham. A lot of them just kind of sit there, some have dogs, some have instruments.

But far too maligned are the Big Issue sellers. It's a publication with somewhat of a negative association - given that it's sold by those who are perceived as tramps - and it doesn't really deserve it.

Firstly, having read several of the last few issues, I quite like it and buy it when I can afford to.

Secondly, a Big Issue seller isn't your average beggar. Someone my girlfriend knows once bought some food and tried to give it to a tramp - they promptly threw it back in his face and shouted "I don't want your food, give me some money." This is what you can never guarantee isn't going to happen if you give food to a tramp - or more specifically, if you give them money, you never know where it's going to go. It's cynical, yes, but unfortunately it's just the way things are.

A Big Issue seller, on the other hand, has to buy his or her copies of the mag off the company that makes them before he can sell them. This shows he's put aside some money so that he can spend it on something that ISN'T drugs, and that they are actually trying to help themselves. This is commendable, and should be encouraged. So even if you don't read the damn thing, buy a Big Issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment