3 March 2009

Dopes that don't smoke dope are dopey

Seeing as this blog was started for journalistic reasons technically speaking, I don't know if this goes against any of the rules about what we 'should' be posting on the internet. I'm also not sure I care, so here goes.

Marijuannnnaaaaa.

Kids, say hello to our new anti-drugs spokesman.

Ish.

Drug use isn't as black and white as people say it is.

Firstly, if we're to theorise that whatever drug you're taking is actually what it claims it is (that being one of the problems), then there are still smart and dumb ways of doing it, just as there are smart and dumb ways of driving a car, and that can kill or injure you just as badly. But that is a whole other rant.

My second point, which is what today's main rant will be about, is that just because something is strictly speaking illegal doesn't mean it's worse for you than something that's legal.

At least one person I know will doubtless point out the pros and cons of all of them, and probably correct any of my factual inaccuracies regarding drugs too.

Heroin and crack are probably the stupidest drugs to try. I think it's the highest addiction risk (I heard somewhere that either or both can get you after one use) for least value for money. Anyway, point is, those are pretty dumb. Other ones aren't as idiotic as people would have you believe in the media, but it varies.

Interesting side note, I read a hilarious interview with Kings Of Leon in Q talking about their cocaine use, in which they talked about how with one use of cocaine they knew it was stupid and not worth it. The VERY next quote was 'after two years on that stuff...'. That's hilarious.

Anyway, the point is, one of the most hotly debated drugs as far as legalisation, declassification, masturbation and exacerbation is marijuana.

Let's not bullshit about this.
- Marijuana is not as bad for you as smoking or drinking.
- If nicotine or alcohol were discovered tomorrow, they would be class A in an instant.
- If the government could tax cocaine, we'd all be on the nose candy.

Marijuana has no proven physical addiction. It's all mental, but the mind is a powerful thing and so it creates symptoms of withdrawal. Even these aren't as bad as those from kicking the booze or the fags - if you're addicted in the first place, and some lucky bastards don't have addictive personalities anyway.

It hasn't actually got, as far as I know, that many proven negative effects - there's only correlational studies, but you can find correlations to a lot of weird shit if you try hard enough. The most prominent one is that it increases likelihood of schizophrenia. Ironically, I believe certain newly pioneered treatmrents for schizophrenia include amphetamines. Go figure.

Something a good man I know called Aaron King pointed out to me was that it's somewhat of a typical student outlook to be in favour of marijuana being legal. He's right, and as such I know my voice will probably never be heard. The main problem there is that I'm not a marijuana user myself, and wouldn't be even if it was legal.

But I've got pretty bombed on stuff that's entirely legal. I have major back problems as most people who know me are aware, and I am jacked up on painkillers 24/7. When I originally hurt my back, I got fairly high on my painkillers and was pretty close to addiction before I got them changed. Both them and the pills I'm now on I got just by asking the doctor for them. I don't think he even examined me. The doctor I'm currently seeing certainly didn't, he just took my word. God, he even asked me what my dosage was!

Of course, that's completely legal, and I really do have back problems. But who's he to say I did?

I'm running out of key points here, so I'll just sum up. As long as alcohol and nicotine are legal, marijuana should be too. By sheer logic.

But then we're not talking about logic, we're talking about politics.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with largely everything there 100%. I'm a complete advocate of marijuana, and would take it if my asthma wasn't so bad. It should be legal, as it has no confirmed bad side effects in moderation (which is the same with most things); it's proven to de-stress and be less harmful than alcohol, it causing less illness than cigarettes and can help people be more creative.

    Thought I should say now, this is Alistair by the way. Check out my blog if you get the chance, I've got some older stuff up on there including a commentary on the Benoit situation which I think you'd find interesting.

    ReplyDelete