21 January 2010

3D and other miscellaneous musings

So the new trend, seemingly started by the remake of My Blood Valentine, is 3D cinema.

My best friend Thom reckons that it's going to take over cinema.

And he might have a point; the only reason I doubt him is because it's threatened to do that at least twice before and not done so.

3D originated in the fifties if I remember rightly and has had a few revivals, but it's never become the standing definition of what cinema is in the same way.

Take colour film, for example. I'm sure plenty of people thought that was a fad at the time, but it soon became the norm.

I doubt this will happen with 3D because it's not necessarily a real improvement on the original form.

Saying that, some people my consider it an improvement. They may feel it is somehow a necessity to have it all leap off the screen into their faces instead of laying back and enjoying it.

And it's with thoughts like this when I feel like I am a man born out of my own time.

Unlike a lot of people with similar tastes in music to me, I don't think that good music is dead and was better in the sixties.

I think some things in music were better in bygone eras, but that's another story.

A lot of the new technology that appears these days seems to me to be not just frivolous, but pointless.

I guess this is a very old man 'we didn't need central heating when I was a wee pup' kind of rant.

I don't want to have my entire music collection with me everywhere I go. I quite like having a limited choice.

I don't really desire my movies to come leaping out of the screen at me. Seeing them on a hundred-foot-wide screen is spectacle enough, thanks.

I don't want to see the total death of physical media in my lifetime. I don't want to only own binary code stored in a magic box with a screen.

So yes, I am an old man before my time.

But then anyone reading this will already know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment